- 3 locations
- Salary: $17.00 to $29.00 /hour
Cable Splicer (513)
Reports To: Construction Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Splices, terminates, and maintains cable, including fiber-optic cable. Identifies, counts, and prepares groups of pairs for splicing. Maintains central office cable system. Splices cable to protector devices and the main distribution frame at the central office. Splices customer drop cable to the central office cable system. Mounts demarcation devices and protectors at customer premises. Transfers service from one cable or terminal to another.
Essential Job Functions:
The essential functions of this position require prioritizing and completing all assigned tasks in a timely and efficient manner, adjusting for changing priorities and availability of resources, and demonstrating initiative in identifying additional job-related tasks to be completed when time permits.
- Perform fusion splicing on new build fiber plant as well as maintaining existing fiber plant. Restores plant during emergency outages in a timely manner.
- Reads and interprets work orders, specifications, engineering drawings and/or cut sheets to determine work to be done in the sequence of the task.
- Performs construction work such as lashing storages and cases, setting cabinets and assists the construction team in aerial and underground tasks.
- Operates aerial lifts, ascends poles using either climbers or extension ladders.
- Proficient in the use of Fusion Splicers, OTDR’s, Power Meter, Light Source and other test equipment utilized in the fiber optic construction and splicing.
- Connects wires and cables to terminals and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, or poles.
- Responds to and participates in emergency and outage situations that require fiber splicing.
- Ensures that all work considers the safety of the customer and general public and compliance with all governmental orders.
- Able and willing to work outdoors and in inclement weather conditions.
- Complete daily production reports and As-Built documentation on prints to include splice matrix documentation.
- Provide OJT training for employees working under your direction on splicing practices and methods to ensure a safe and productive work environment.
- Review daily production reports, material usage sheets, keep track of work hours, complete and maintain accurate “as-built maps” for areas built.
- Maintains responsibility for verifying the condition of all vehicles, equipment and tools provided for use in the performance of work.
- Communicate in a professional, respectful and courteous manner with all employees, the customers and others with whom we may work. Contribute to a successful work group through positive interactions, active listening, meaningful collaborations, and the constructive exchange of ideas designed to meet or exceed the organization’s strategic goals.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by management.*
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of broadband industry; construction techniques and terminology; overhead and underground construction standards as well as Oregon OSHA and NESC requirements.
- Ability to prioritize and organize effectively.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to use personal computer and software applications (i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Reviews constructed work orders for consistency with the original project design. Tabulates the actual number of units used on the project. Supplies Engineers with a complete set of As-Built drawings and fiber optic matrix documentation once the project is completed.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills necessary to communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external customers, vendors, contractors, and other diverse audiences while providing outstanding customer service.
- Strong technical, trouble-shooting, problem solving, organizational and analytical skills,.
- Ability to multitask while remaining flexible with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Well-reasoned decision making with a high attention to detail regarding organization, planning, workflow, and project prioritization to ensure tasks are completed efficiently and accurately.
- Highly ethical, self-motivated individual with ability to work independently and/or with limited direction, as well as cooperatively in a team environment, while consistently demonstrating collaborative, respectful and productive work habits.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with an insurable driving record.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 2 years fiber optic splicing experience.
- This position requires up to 80% travel.
- The candidate may either home garage from the Hermiston, OR area or the Hood River, OR area.
- Blue Mountain Networks is a drug-free workplace.
Somewhat disagreeable working conditions due to the continuous exposure to one or more of the elements listed above. Exposed to one element continuously or several elements occasionally, but usually not at the same time.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We are a drug-free workplace.
We request your initial contact be via e-mail at email@example.com
Please send cover letter/resume. We will contact you within 2 weeks if we are interested in setting up a meeting. We will keep your application/resume on file for 6 months. Should an appropriate position become available during that time, you will be contacted.